In the late 1920s various groups across the commonwealth began working towards the establishment of state parks in Virginia. It wasn’t until 1933, however, with the establishment of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) that the state was able to begin building such a system. At that time, six areas were acquired, including Fairy Stone. Roanoke newspaper publisher Junius B. Fishburn donated the 4,741-acre site, making it the largest of the six original parks and one of the largest to this day.
The CCC provided the labor and materials for the construction of the park from 1933 until the CCC camp was removed in the spring of 1941. Roads, trails, picnic areas, cabins, a restaurant, bathhouse, dam and sanitation system are all part of the original CCC construction. Their handiwork is still evident in the park’s log cabins.
Home of the legendary fairy stones, this park is well known for its 168-acre lake adjoining Philpott Reservoir. The park is just minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Attractions include cabins, a campground, group camping, an equestrian campground, a conference center, hiking trails, lake swimming, rowboats, canoes, paddle boats, kayaks, picnicking and two playgrounds, including one in the water.